Skip to main content

The mystery of the human brain is one that has intrigued us for decades, captivating the attention of experts the world over. At some point the idea that we are only physically capable of using 10% of our brains at any given time became accepted as common knowledge, leaving those seeking a leg up in their lives scrambling to unearth the secret to tapping into the remaining 90%.

In an effort to clear the air, neurologist Barry Gordon from Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore spoke up, revealing that there is no truth to this popular myth. In fact, each one of us has the potential to tap into our full potential at any moment. He stated, “It turns out though, that we use virtually every part of the brain, and that [most of] the brain is active almost all the time. Let’s put it this way: the brain represents three percent of the body’s weight and uses 20 percent of the body’s energy.”

Source: HumanEngineers

What is true is that the areas of the brain are not active all at the same time. Throughout the day our brain uses different areas for different purposes, however, over the course of a 24-hour period each area is used effectively. Evidence would show over a day you use 100% of the brain,” explained John Henley, a neurologist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. “Even in sleep, areas such as the frontal cortex, which controls things like higher level thinking and self-awareness, or the somatosensory areas, which help people sense their surroundings, are active.”

If we are, in fact, capable of using our full brain, then it stands to reason that the ability to tap into our full potential is available to anyone who is willing to make the effort. Interested in making this work to move your own life forward?

Try these 6 tips to unlock your full potential:

1. Practice Delayed Gratification

As a society we are consistently on the search for gratification, looking for the quickest and easiest tricks to achieve all that we want without having to work too hard. The problem is, the things that we value most in life are going to take both time and effort. Practicing delayed gratification will result in bigger and better things.

2. Acknowledge Your Emotions

If you deny the presence of your emotions, then you allow them to control and manipulate your thoughts. In order to ensure that the decisions you are making are logical and well thought out, you must first recognize and identify your emotions, separating them from your thoughts and decisions.

3. Set up a Routine and Stick to it

Our daily habits and routine determine which direction we are heading in life. Rather than overthinking the final destination and becoming overwhelmed, consider baby steps, setting up daily habits that will empower you to move towards your goals and dreams.

4. Learn to Honor Your True Self

Each and every one of us is gifted without our strengths and unique abilities. Rather than focusing on trying to fit in, we should learn to identify and acknowledge our talents, using them to help us to grow and succeed.

5. Drop Your Judgments

Too often we find ourselves forming an opinion of the people that we encounter in our lives. If we allow ourselves to pass judgment too quickly we may be eliminating people from our lives that may have helped us to learn about ourselves and all that we are capable of in life.

6. Focus on the Positive

Don’t allow negativity to set up residence in your mind, as it will only tear you down. Instead, focus on the positive, welcoming these energies into your life. This will allow you to break through any plateaus and challenges that arise during your journey.