While we all know throughout different cultures and time periods the world has changed and the ‘rules of life’ have changed, some things stayed the same. If you’ve never heard of the Native American Code of Ethics you are in for a treat.
I recently came across something called the Native American Code of Ethics. This is basically a code of ethics developed back in the 1990s. It was originally posted in the ‘Inter-Tribal Times’ but has since been reposted by the Native Village and shared from there tons of times.
While we do not know much about this code of ethics or who made it we do know how profound it is. When reading it, it is quite clear that the person(s) who came up with it had an intent to spread true awareness and love. Whether you are looking for guidance or just trying to learn something new this passage will most likely be something you take a big chunk away from.
1. Rise with the sun to pray. Pray alone. Pray often. The Great Spirit will listen if you only speak.
This meaning you are free to pray whenever you want and that if you do not speak you will not be heard. It is a reminder that we cannot stay silent. Only those who ask shall receive.
2. Be tolerant of those who are lost on their path. Ignorance, conceit, anger, jealousy, and greed stem from a lost soul. Pray that they will find guidance.
Sometimes we will come across people who have no clue what they are doing or how to get out of the rut they are stuck in. We should not look down on them but instead, try to hold hope for them. Perhaps someday they will be where we are.
3. Search for yourself, by yourself. Do not allow others to make your path for you. It is your road and yours alone. Others may walk it with you, but no one can walk it for you.
You must pave your own path in this life. No one can choose your life for you. This is something only you can do.
4. Treat the guests in your home with much consideration. Serve them the best food, give them the best bed and treat them with respect and honor.
Treat those who come to you with kindness. Be there for the people who need you when you can. You never know when things may be flipped.
5. Do not take what is not yours whether from a person, a community, the wilderness or from a culture. It was not earned nor given. It is not yours.
Whether it is something small or something big you should not be taking things you did not work for. If you do not earn it or it is not a gift it does not belong to you. A thief is not someone you want to be.
6. Respect all things that are placed upon this earth – whether it be people or plant.
Everything on this planet deserves respect. No matter what you should be respectful of the world around you. There is no sense in torturing those who do not deserve it.
7. Honor other people’s thoughts, wishes, and words. Never interrupt another or mock or rudely mimic them. Allow each person the right to personal expression.
Just because someone doesn’t agree with you does not mean that they are bad. Sometimes agreeing to disagree is the best thing you can do. This needs to be remembered.
8. Never speak of others in a bad way. The negative energy that you put out into the universe will multiply when it returns to you.
Talking badly about someone will only bring forth a negative energy. This negative energy will loom over you. You do not want that to happen.
9. All persons make mistakes. And all mistakes can be forgiven.
We are only human. We all make mistakes. Sometimes forgiving someone is hard but it is usually very important.
10. Bad thoughts cause illness of the mind, body, and spirit. Practice optimism.
Being overly negative creates a negative space. This will bring you down and can harm you in more ways than you think. Just because it isn’t quick does not mean it will not happen.
11. Nature is not FOR us, it is a PART of us. They are part of your worldly family.
Nature is not our property. Nature is part of who we are. We are all one.
12. Children are the seeds of our future. Plant love in their hearts and water them with wisdom and life’s lessons. When they are grown, give them space to grow.
When we are dead and gone our children will live on. They are the future. If we treat them right the future will be bright.
13. Avoid hurting the hearts of others. The poison of your pain will return to you.
When hurting others you are also hurting yourself. You should not be going out of your way to bring others down. You are better than that.
14. Be truthful at all times. Honesty is the test of ones will within this universe.
The truth is something we should never give up on. Speaking the truth might get us into trouble or some pretty complicated situations but it has to happen. The truth is something that frees us all.
15. Keep yourself balanced. Your Mental self, Spiritual self, Emotional self, and Physical self – all need to be strong, pure and healthy. Work out the body to strengthen the mind. Grow rich in spirit to cure emotional ails.
Sometimes finding balance is hard but the worst part is keeping it. Maintaining balance is a very frustrating thing. Even when you’re falling you should remember to pick yourself up.
16. Make conscious decisions as to who you will be and how you will react. Be responsible for your own actions.
You are the only person in charge of your life. Your words and actions are your own. You have to take responsibility for yourself.
17. Respect the privacy and personal space of others. Do not touch the personal property of others – especially sacred and religious objects. This is forbidden.
We all deserve privacy. The more connected we are the easier this will become. Personal space is not a bad thing.
18. Be true to yourself first. You cannot nurture and help others if you cannot nurture and help yourself first.
Being confident and strong is something that helps us to nurture others. Without believing in ourselves others won’t believe in us either. We have to have that trust within before anything is going to happen
19. Respect others religious beliefs. Do not force your belief on others.
You cannot force someone to believe the same thing as you. You are not the one who gets to decide that and you should butt out. if your advice isn’t asked for don’t give it.
20. Share your good fortune with others. Participate in charity.
These are things we should all try our best to do in our lives. While some of them might seem small they all make a difference. How many of these do you already practice?
Sharing is caring. The more we share the more we bring forth happiness to this world. While you shouldn’t share literally everything you should do your part.