While it might sound pretty out there, something very rare has happened in Florida. Someone has been confirmed with a case of ‘brain-destroying’ amoeba.
This case was announced by the Florida Department of Health not too long ago and since well, people have been freaking out. This amoeba known as Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic single-celled amoeba that tends to be quite fatal. While most people think ‘that would never happen to me’ keep in mind the person with this specific case likely thought the same or wasn’t even aware a threat like this existed.
One person contracted Naegleria fowleri in Hillsborough County. Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic single-celled living amoeba. The amoeba can cause a rare infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) that destroys brain tissue and is usually fatal. pic.twitter.com/icT66tqlkU
— DOH – Hillsborough (@DOHHillsborough) July 3, 2020
CNN wrote as follows on this topic:
Naegleria fowleri is typically found in warm freshwater like lakes, rivers and ponds. The DOH has cautioned people who swim in those freshwater sources to be aware of the amoeba’s possible presence, particularly when the water is warm.
“Adverse health effects on humans can be prevented by avoiding nasal contact with the waters, since the amoeba enters through nasal passages,” the DOH said.
The DOH recommended people avoid bodies of warm freshwater around power plants and shallow fresh water during periods of high water temperature. They should pinch their nose when playing in warm freshwater.
The DOH also noted that you could possibly be exposed to the amoeba through a neti pot when rinsing congested sinuses.
“Use only boiled and cooled, distilled, or sterile water for making sinus rinse solutions for neti pots or performing ritual ablutions,” it said.
According to CBS News, there have only been 37 cases of this specific amoeba since 1962 in Florida and across the US only 145 of which only four actually were able to survive their encounter with this dangerous creature. While it is something we do not often think about, the end results that tend to come from having an encounter with this amoeba is devastating.
If you really want to prevent coming into contact with this kind of amoeba you should click here and go over the CDC’s guidelines in relation. While it’s a rare amoeba to come across and be infected by, it is one that can take our lives. While this could just be an isolated case, some people are wondering if there could be more than just this one case at the moment. That being said, I guess time will tell.