For those who do not know, self-respect is pride and confidence in oneself. We are all capable of having this, but some people for different reasons are lacking.
When those who lack self-respect gain just that a major change happens inside of them. This change is visible on the outside, but most people won’t be able to recognize the signs. If you are doing the following then you have found a sense of self-respect that others may not understand.
35 Things People Don’t Notice You’re Doing Because You Have Gained a Sense of Self-Respect:
1. No longer letting others opinions matter to you.
Your opinion is the only one that should matter. Other people are only holding you back. Just because someone isn’t into the things you are doing doesn’t make them bad.
2. No longer seeking the attention of others in any situation.
Your attention is all that you truly need. Just because someone is ignoring you doesn’t mean that you are doing something wrong. Sometimes people are just dicks.
3. No longer being unwilling to better yourself.
As humans change is inevitable, and bettering ourselves is important. This is how we survive.
4. No longer holding yourself back with negative habits.
Negative habits only get in the way of your purpose. Be happy in life so that you will not need those negative things. Regardless of your vice, overcome it.
5. No longer doing for those who do nothing for you.
You do not have to serve those who are not serving you. If someone is rude and unsupportive you don’t have to let them stick around. Don’t help those who won’t help themselves or even show a little kindness.
6. No longer being the one to play the victim.
We are not victims! We can rise above anything this world throws at us. That card has been throw away.
7. No longer blaming others for your own actions.
You are responsible for your own actions. Nothing others do is your fault and nothing you do is theirs. Remember this.
8. No longer being stuck in the past.
The past is exactly that, the past. It is not something we can change and therefore we should not obsess over it. Life goes on.
9. No longer sitting by while life passes by.
If you stay idle for too long you will miss so much. Don’t be someone who sat by lazily while life swept out the door. We only get short lives, time flies.
10. No longer bragging to others.
Sure, there is nothing wrong with voicing an accomplishment from time to time but don’t go overboard. No one really cares in the end anyway. You are merely wasting your breath.
11. No longer saying you don’t know something when you do have the answer.
If you are able to teach someone something new, do it. Never say “I don’t know” as a response to something you could easily solve. If we leave everything unanswered where would we be in this world?
12. Not caring if what you do is considered cool by those around you.
You do what makes you happy. If you spend your whole life trying to fit in you will die a boring sad old person and who wants that? Isn’t living what we are here for?
13. Being creative without being afraid of what others think.
Show your creativity however you see fit. Just because someone isn’t fond of your artwork doesn’t mean that you have to give up. Someone somewhere believes that your artwork is a masterpiece.
14. Being your authentic self.
Being true to yourself above all else is the most important thing on this list. Know who you are and who you aren’t. Don’t let others tell you who to be.
15. Saying no when you mean no.
Don’t say no when you’re going to do something anyway. Choose your words wisely and mean what you say. If you don’t mean it DON’T SAY IT.
16. Not saying yes just because you feel like you have to.
Everything we do is optional, sure there are consequences for not doing some things, but that doesn’t mean we have to do them. Live your life for yourself. If you don’t want to go to that party at work, don’t go.
17. Changing your mind.
As a human being you are free to change your mind as little or as often as you would like. Don’t let anyone make you feel bad for changing your mind. We are all allowed to do this.
18. Knowing that this world owes you nothing.
This world owes you nothing. We are not entitled for merely existing. Our birth is not a sign from God that we deserve to all be rich and drive nice cars, sorry not sorry.
19. Correcting others when they make assumptions about you.
When people assume things about us it can be frustrating. Sometimes you just have to correct them. With that being said, know when to pick your battles.
20. Standing up for yourself.
Don’t let anyone walk all over you! You matter and are not a doormat. Speak for those who refuse to do so.
21. Doing the things you enjoy.
Don’t spend life doing things that you can’t stand to do. Have hobbies and be content with life. If you like coloring, color away.
22. Not working a job that you hate.
No, you don’t have to love your job but if you are spending so much of your life there you should at least not hate it. Find something you are good at that doesn’t make you miserable. Your job shouldn’t feel like hell.
23. No longer justifying your own actions or the actions of those close to you.
You don’t have to explain anything to anyone. No one has to agree with what you do. As long as you are happy that is all that matters.
24. Not answering every text as soon as you receive it. You don’t have to respond to everything.
Sometimes a text doesn’t deserve a response and other times we are busy. People can wait, you come first. If you are in the middle of dinner that call from work can wait till you are done.
25. Staying home when you don’t feel like going out.
If you don’t want to go out you don’t have to. If you are tired, stay home. There will always be other nights to go out.
26. No longer allowing the problems of others to become your own.
Other people have their issues in the same ways you have yours. If it doesn’t have anything to do with you stay out of it. You don’t need to be stressing about something you cannot change.
27. No longer people-pleasing.
People pleasing is something a lot of people do. When you respect yourself you no longer care to make others happy. If they won’t take you as you are then they do not deserve you.
28. Putting self-care at the top of your list.
Taking care of yourself is more important than most other things. If you aren’t functioning properly then you cannot do any good in this world. Take care of yourself first above all else.
29. Not listening to others complain.
Everyone complains from time to time but chronic complainers have got to go. You do not need that negativity in your life. If they want change so bad they can go out and get it.
30. Not complaining anymore.
You know now that life is not as easy as it sounds. You can’t just get by on love and good intentions. Complaining never gets anyone anywhere.
31. Cutting people out of your life who do not deserve an explanation.
Just because someone has been in your life for a long time doesn’t mean they deserve an explanation as to why they aren’t part of it now. Get rid of anyone who isn’t supportive and fill your life with positive people. You are only as good as the company that you keep.
32. Knowing that it is okay to be who you want to be instead of who people want you to be.
Your expectations are the only ones you have to live up to. The expectations of your friends and family are not expectations you HAVE to go by. Be who you want to be, and if they won’t accept you that is on them.
33. Thinking positively even in bad situations.
Positive thinking is going to help in all ways. There is always something to be thankful for and to look forward to. Even in the darkest moments there is some light.
35. Defining yourself rather than being defined by others.
You are who you are not who others want you to be. Being yourself is hard, but it is so worth it. Live the definition you made not the one others forced onto you.