In life there are tons of common unwritten rules that you would think we would all know, but sadly some people just never catch on. Generally, these rules boil down to being kind and giving what you give, but there is a lot more to it.
I recently came across a thread on Reddit that really got me thinking. This thread is titled “What is one ‘unwritten rule’ you think everyone should know and follow?” After spending quite some time going through the replies I found my favorites and decided to see just how many people really felt these to be true.
Below you will find my list of favorites. If we all were to follow these rules life things would be so much easier. Are you already following any of these rules? (They are not in any particular order.)
17 Rules in Life We Should All Be Living By:
1. If someone holds the door for you, thank them.
It isn’t that hard to show some gratitude. Whether you mean it or not they were doing just trying to be helpful. It doesn’t cost anything to be kind.
2. You can’t call shotgun unless you’re outside and can see the vehicle.
Seriously, stop calling shotgun while you’re inside, and don’t even plan to leave for another hour. It is RUDE! Everyone deserves a chance.
3. If you can’t park it, don’t drive it.
For real though, if you end up taking up two parking spaces you don’t know what you are doing. It isn’t ‘cool’ to have if you can’t maneuver it properly. Stick with what you are comfortable with.
4. Don’t pet someone’s dog without asking.
NEVER pet someone else’s dog without asking for permission first. This especially goes for strangers. Just because my dog is out walking with me doesn’t mean you can touch him or her. Also, keep your damn dog on a leash. Mine is leashed, yours should be too.
5. If something doesn’t scan at a register, don’t ask if it is free.
As someone who has worked retail, no it is not free and you’re not funny. You are just making me uncomfortable. Please stop.
6. Don’t cut in line.
Ever since we were young we were taught to wait our turn, and yet some people still can’t. We all have to wait in line. If you didn’t get there before someone else you don’t deserve to be served before them.
7. Understand when you aren’t welcome.
Don’t just tag along with someone to do something when you weren’t invited in the first place. Also, if someone invited you out to do something, don’t invite other people to come with. Don’t be rude.
8. Leave people alone who are wearing headphones in public.
People who wear headphones in public DO NOT want to talk to you. Leave them alone. Strangers rarely want to socialize with you, STOP. Sure, making them aware of hazards or anything of the sort is fine, but don’t try to carry on a conversation knowing they are trying their best to ignore you politely.
9. When someone shows you a picture on their phone, don’t swipe left or right for more.
By swiping you are invading this person’s privacy. If they wanted you to see the rest they would have told you. Stop reaching!
10. Don’t change a diaper where people eat.
This should not have to be said, but apparently, it happens. There is no need to change your child’s diaper where people are eating or eat in general. I am so glad I have never dealt with this one.
11. Wash your hands before leaving the bathroom.
This is another thing we were taught growing up. Don’t be disgusting, wash your hands when you’re done doing your business. It only takes a minute of your time.
12. Having a bad day doesn’t mean you have to ruin other people’s day.
We should never take out our anger and frustration on those who care about us. We can have a bad day without letting it affect those around us. Stop projecting.
13. Never blame others for your own actions.
You have to take responsibility for the things you do. If something is your fault own up to it. Blaming others is only causing unneeded drama.
14. Don’t ask someone if they are pregnant, especially if you don’t know them.
Just because someone looks pregnant doesn’t mean they are. We know when we have a bit of a belly, stop reminding us. You aren’t being silly, and it isn’t cute, it is upsetting and annoying.
15. Put your shopping cart where it goes, not in the parking spots.
These buggy returns are literally all over the parking lot. If you use the shopping cart put it where it goes. Stop being a douche and leaving them everywhere.
16. If someone cannot fix something about their appearance within a few seconds, you shouldn’t mention it.
By all means, if someone has food in their teeth tell them, but don’t say things like “wow your teeth are crooked” or “man you need to lose weight.” WE KNOW, I promise I have lived with my wonky teeth for my whole life. I KNOW they are a bit messed up.
17. When sharing a pizza you can take the first biggest slice of pizza, but not the first and second.
This is one of those things that you need to remember. Sure, getting one of the biggest slices is fine but you don’t get all of them. Everyone deserves equal amounts within reason.