Following a 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, the National Institute on Drug Abuse stated that approximately 22.2 million Americans had used marijuana in the past month alone. A number of states have already embraced the uses of marijuana, legalizing its use, and experts the world over are starting to reconsider their previously rigid stance.
In fact, CNN’s Chief Medical Correspondent Sanjay Gupta, once vehemently against the acceptance of medical marijuana in our world of modern medicine, has now changed his mind and embraced its place in our world today.
The National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine recently released a report titled ‘The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids,’ a 400-page analysis discussing, in detail, both the benefits and risks of marijuana. It concluded that medical marijuana can effectively treat chronic pain in a number of patients.
Here are 26 scientifically supported health benefits of marijuana:
- During a 14-week study, researchers discovered that cannabidiol (CBD) was found to decrease the frequency of seizures among children with epilepsy.
- Lotions and salves created from CBD have been used successfully in the treatment of skin conditions including allergy-induced rashes and hives.
- CBD has been found effective in the management of many mental illnesses including depression, anxiety, and eating disorders.
- The use of CBD has been found to provide some relief for those suffering muscle spasms.
- Researchers have discovered that cannabinoids are effective in the management of nausea and vomiting. For this reason, it is often prescribed to patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- CBD has been used in the relief of the symptoms associated with digestive disorders including irritable bowel syndrome and Crohn’s Disease.
- Experts have found that medical marijuana can help to reduce the pain and suffering associated with multiple sclerosis.
- By inhibiting oxidative stress, cannabis has been found effective in protecting the liver from binge alcohol-induced steatosis.
- CBD is an effective option in the treatment and management of inflammation within the body.
- Researchers believe that cannabis can be used as an effective tool in the management of PTSD.
- CBD salves are effective in the management of itching and discomfort from bug bites, eczema, sunburns and more.
- In a 2017 review comprising of data from over 10,000 recent studies by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, researchers concluded that evidence exists showing that cannabis is an effective treatment option for chronic pain and other pain-related conditions.
- Medical marijuana works to manage the side effects from treating hepatitis C while also increasing the effectiveness of treatment efforts.
- Cannabis oil has been found to be an effective means of comfort and relief in those who suffer from psoriasis.
- Medical professionals have found that medical marijuana can be used in the treatment of glaucoma.
- Medical marijuana has been found to improve the quality of life for patients currently suffering from Parkinson’s Disease.
- Over 100 scientific studies all show that CBD is effective in the battle against cancer, specifically in the treatment of lung cancer, prostate cancer, and breast cancer.
- CBD is effective in the management of the pain and cramping associated with female menstrual cycles.
- Effective in avoiding cases of malnutrition, medical marijuana has found to be effective in increasing appetites in patients who otherwise struggle to manage their nutritional intake including those undergoing chemotherapy.
- Medical marijuana has been found to improve memory in older smokers and reverse the effects of aging on the mind.
- Experts say that medical marijuana can assist in the treatment and management of a number of sexually transmitted diseases including herpes.
- The use of medical marijuana has been found to be effective in improving focus, making it a great tool in the management of conditions such as ADHD.
- Providing an effective option for the treatment of insomnia and sleep disorders, CBD has been found to work as a powerful sleep aid.
- A survey published in Psychology Today reveals that cannabis has been found to have a positive impact on the overall sexual experiences of those who use it, including increasing sex drives and intensifying orgasms.
- Cannabis has been found effective in the management of blood sugar levels in patients diagnosed with diabetes.
- Cannabis can be used to combat long-term effects from binge drinking including alcohol-induced neurodegeneration.