We all know that one woman – the one that everybody looks to, in awe, mesmerized by her amazing ability to succeed at everything she does. When she walks into a room, she does so with confidence, her head held high and a fire in her eyes.
Urban Dictionary defines an ‘Alpha Female’ as: “a dominant female in a group. She dates as many males as she wants, is strong and confident, and a hard worker as well as often busy. She is usually sarcastic because she’s powerful and playful. Alpha Females are intelligent, intellectual problem solvers; and though being an alpha female is more of a state of mind than a physicality, an alpha understands that dressing up or sexy increases her power in society, so she does it.”
These women are the go-getters, the women that are always up for a challenge and rarely intimidated. They are your bosses, your mentors and your teachers. Alpha females are true bada$$es, possessing a number of characteristics: They are assertive, competitive and sometimes controlling, taking the lead in every project they pursue, however, according to Psychology Today, they are also born ‘healthier, more energetic and more resilient.’
When the going gets tough, these are the women you want in your corner, ready to fight for and with you against all odds.
Do you find that people often refer to you as someone who goes for what she wants, refusing to back down? To people compliment you on your tenacity and dedication? Do you believe that you fit the definition of an Alpha Female?
Check out these 18 signs that you are an Alpha Female:
1. You don’t believe that you have to tear other people down in order to succeed, or that there is only room enough for one at the top. For this reason, you are not prone to jealousy or feeling intimidated. Instead, you actively build others up and encourage their success while still working towards your own.
2. While you enjoy being in the spotlight when you are doing an executive presentation or commanding a room full of people on an important project, you don’t require attention 24/7. You aren’t going to stoop down low enough to beg for attention. Instead, you are happy to remain in the background until your it comes to your time to shine.
3. You are incredibly focused, setting your mind on a goal and working towards it without relenting or allowing yourself to become distracted. Whatever it is, if you want it you won’t stop until you’ve got it!
4. You aren’t afraid to speak your mind and express your opinion, even if it goes against the grain. While you willingly speak up and share your thoughts and views, you are able to do so while still maintaining some level of tact, which helps you to convince people of your opinion.
5. When you enter a room, you are immediately met with a high level of respect. This is due to the way that you carry yourself, exuding confidence everywhere that you go. People can tell that you are both capable and trustworthy from the first time that they meet you.
6. You don’t NEED a man in your life, and as such you aren’t afraid to walk away from one when he isn’t treating you properly. You know your worth and you aren’t afraid to spend time single until you find someone who can treat you right.
7. You live your life with a sense of purpose. You acknowledge that we only have 24 hours in a day and 7 days in a week, and, as such, every decision that you make is carefully planned to help you to move forward and succeed in all that you deem important.
8. While you are always working to move forward in life, you are also aware of the importance of balance in your life. You understand that you are unable to function optimally unless you take care of yourself, and so you make time to focus on your physical, mental and emotional health.
9. While many people will go to great lengths to avoid change, afraid of the unknown, you embrace it. You know that it is only through stepping out of your comfort zone that you will be able to grow and evolve into a better version of yourself.
10. Your leadership abilities aren’t something that you have had to work on or develop, they are something that just comes to you naturally regardless of the setting. Not only does it feel natural to you, but others are able to pick up on your leadership abilities, choosing to follow you without being asked.
11. When considering the people in your life you understand the importance of quality over quantity. You have an incredible, tight-knit circle of friends, people that you would trust without question. To these people, you are loyal above all else.
12. You are self-sufficient, making your own money, paying your own bills and showing complete responsibility in the area of your finances. You don’t need anyone to take care of you because you are entirely capable of taking care of yourself.
13. You are aware that there are potential consequences to every risk in life, however, you also know that each risk also carries with it the potential for great gain. For this reason, you are unafraid to take the leap and accept the consequences of your actions.
14. Not only are you intelligent, but you have developed an incredibly high emotional intelligence. You understand that if you allow your emotions to take control you are going to make rash decisions that you will regret later. For this reason, you are cool, calm and collected in even the most stressful of situations.
15. You acknowledge that not everything you do is going to be right at all time, after all, you are human and we all make mistakes. You don’t shy away from admitting when you are at fault or when you make an error, a quality that makes you more trustworthy in the eyes of those around you.
16. Despite the fact that society tries to push you to ‘have it all,’ you acknowledge that you don’t need to conform to any stereotype. You choose what YOU want to accomplish in life, whether it’s a career, being a parent, or a combination of the two. You refuse to stay within a set box, breaking free and defining your own life.
17. You don’t follow fashion trends or brand names. Rather than trying to conform to ‘what’s hot’ and ‘what’s not’ in society, you have your own sense of fashion. You proudly show off your own unique style, leaving an impression everywhere that you go.
18. Men are both slightly intimidated by you and incredibly attracted to you. They admire your self-confidence and independence. These qualities set you apart from everyone else, showing just how unique and special you really are!