Lots of people experience suicidal thoughts when they are going through any type of mental illness; for the most part they blame themselves and are not quite sure how to handle things. Even if someone’s life seems perfect on the outside it does not mean that they are not capable of suffering on the inside.
If you have a set of friends you care about the very last thing you would want is for one of them to commit suicide. That being said, sometimes when we think we are being there for them we aren’t. Most of the time we don’t even notice they are suffering and that is a huge issue. Below you will find a list of reasons that you may not pick up on the suffering those around you are going through.
1. They put on a fake smile.
2. They avoid hanging out. (You may just think they don’t want to be your friend anymore, but that is not always the case.)
3. They push people away. (They don’t want you to see them at their worst.)
4. They don’t talk about themselves often. (They always want to talk about anything other than what is going on in their lives.)
5. They will not reach out for help. (No matter how much they are screaming for help on the inside most of these people will never mention their pain to anyone else.)
6. They lie about their feelings. (If they have to talk about their feelings they lie.)
7. They focus on work more than anyone else. (You might cast this off as being a workaholic.)
8. They turn to alcohol or things of that nature for relief. (They may seem awesome when they’re drinking, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t hiding something more underneath.)
9. They overcompensate when around others so that they do not feel as weak on the outside as they are on the inside. (This makes their pain hard to notice.)
10. They laugh more when people are around as a means of hiding their pain, they do not want to burden anyone else.
11. They day dream a lot. This is when they are lost in thought about anything and everything going wrong in their lives. (You may think they have their head in the clouds or even a crush of some sort.)
12. They will lash out. (This will make you feel as if you have done something wrong and you will most likely want to stay out of their way.)
13. They will do things to make others happy. (They will go out of their way to make other people smile, this makes most people think they are kind happy people but that is not always the case.)
14. They have good days and bad days. (Some days they are fine and other days the intrusive thoughts are overwhelming them.)
15. They think you won’t care if they try to talk about it, and the last thing they want to hear is ‘get over it.’
16. They are lazy or at least you may call them that. They sometimes are too exhausted from the shit their mind puts them through to get out of bed.
If you or someone you know is dealing with suicidal thoughts please get help. Let this person know you are there for them and if they reach out to you embrace them with open arms. There is nothing worse than going through something this terrible alone. A friendly reminder that you are there and that you care can go a long way.