We all have room to learn in this life. No one being knows everything but there are many who undoubtedly know more than most.
I personally love and admire Thich Nhat Hanh’s work. While there are millions of wonderful lessons we could learn from this marvelous and gifted soul the ones listed below are my favorites. Thich Nhat Hanh brings a stillness to the mind like nothing I have ever experienced before.
10 Life Lessons We Can All Learn From Thich Nhat Hanh:
1. “Because you are alive, everything is possible.”
This one comes from the book Living Buddha, Living Christ. It is something that has for some time now resonated with me on a very deep level. Life should be impossible but is possible therefore nothing is impossible.
2. “Many people think excitement is happiness… But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.”
Coming from the book The Art of Power this meaning blows me away. This is something many people get wrong and even I sometimes fall victim to the excitement. True happiness is in the moments where we are 100 percent at peace within ourselves.
3. “The seed of suffering in you may be strong, but don’t wait until you have no more suffering before allowing yourself to be happy.”
This quote/lesson comes from the book The Heart of the Buddha’s Teachings: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation. We should all by now be aware of this lesson. In life, if we try to wait until we are done suffering to be happy we will never be happy. Life is going to be full of suffering and nothing can prevent it.
4. “My actions are my only true belongings.”
We can have many things but in the end, the only thing we truly have is our actions. The things we do belong to no one but us regardless of who we allow to influence us. We are responsible for ourselves.
5. “You must love in such a way that the person you love feels free.”
Love is not a chain and it is not something that should be holding someone captive. The person you love should not feel like a caged bird. We are all separate but one.
6. “Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy.”
It is important to smile. Smiling can brighten your mood at least on some level. When you are feeling down sometimes you have to be the one to pick yourself back up.
7. “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.”
Accepting yourself is one of the most important things in life. If you love yourself no one else matters. Your opinion of yourself should sit above everyone else’s.
8. “The wave does not need to die to become water. She is already water.”
We do not have to lose ourselves to find ourselves. We often are what we have been searching for all along. Looking within will get us much further than looking from the outside.
9. “If you suffer and make your loved ones suffer, there is nothing that can justify your desire.”
There is no excuse for making those who care for you suffer. Just because you are suffering does not mean you should bring others down. No matter how hard you look this will always be wrong.
10. “Understanding means throwing away your knowledge.”
If you want to understand everything you must accept that you know nothing. Not everything has to make sense and if you look at things from a limited perspective you will not get the full effect. There is a lot more to the big picture that you may never fully see.